Friends ! Are you listening —– Its “Mother’s Day” this Sunday.
I know you all have geared up to celebrate this day with your dear mom. Its time when we express our gratitude for the hardships she faces for our upbringing. Without wasting time I wish all the Mothers and would be mothers —A very happy Mother’s Day!
Mother/mom/mamma whatever you say, the word gives you a feeling of warmth, love and security. As a child we all have experienced the care, love and support of mother. But wait, you all, reading this article, and think over it again when you wish your mom-A happy mother’s Day. I say this because I am sure — in today’s scenario mother is actually pretending to be happy.
And so, on this Mother’s day I take an opportunity to discuss the most common but not to be ignored problem of all mothers— ????. You have guessed it!
The musculoskeletal problems more prevalent in women are osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, fractures and spinal disorders. Yet I have chosen to talk on backache because this problem has made its shelter in every home next door.
Yes, be it the first time mother or an experienced mother, the commonest health issue she faces is Backache. Lets have a look—-
- All the house hold work is mainly managed by mothers in standing position. Long hours of standing, incorrect standing posture leads to backache.
- If a mother is among those ladies who drives vehicle to compete with the deadlines of the timings at home and at work place— then thanks to the potholes, roads, speed breakers in city which help her in aggravating her backache though she has been provided with natural shock absorbers!
- Working mother is under stress at office too. Long sitting hours at office, incorrect sitting postures gradually results in backache.
- Due to lack of time and habit of neglecting her health many mothers face the problem of overweight. The bones have to bear the body weight leading to strain in the muscles of the back. This ultimately results in backache.
- Even if the mother is a homemaker unknowingly she is lifting heavy weight like—- bucket full of water/clothes, lifting her small kid in hands for a long time, lifting heavy bags of luggage. She is unaware of the fact that she is making all arrangements in welcoming the backache.
These are just few things that I have listed but the list still continues……..
Can we come up to a solution? Its not possible to shed of the responsibility but I think few simple measures if thought of, can help in taking care of the backache and even preventing it.
I request all the mothers on this day to follow few tips:-
- Keep the muscles well conditioned by improving sitting, standing, stretching postures. Well-conditioned muscles are less susceptible to injury.
- Never bend at the waist or stoop to pick up an object. Instead, lower the body to the level of the object by bending the knees. Grasp the item, hold it close to the body, and raise yourself with your legs while keeping your back straight.
- Do not lift very heavy objects.
- Whenever possible, prop yourself up.
- Lean against a wall or pillar while waiting for a bus or standing in line at the bank.
- Keep footstools around the house. Alternatively prop up one leg on stool while doing standing chores.
- Sleep on a firm mattress and find a comfortable position.
- Wear low-heeled shoes.
- Standing straight will do wonders for your back.
- Sit on a comfortable chair that supports the curve of lower back.
- While sitting for long hours rest feet on a low stool so that knees are above hips.
- Do not sit or stand in one position for a very long time. Get up periodically and walk for a while.
- Avoid activities, which hurt back.
- Do not sit in same position for long hours. It may prove hazardous to back. Take break in between and move around.
- Avoid becoming overweight. Overweight increases the risk of back pain.
What mothers should avoid if they get backache?
- Just carrying our activities even if in pain
- Repeated application of painkiller ointments
- Use of over the counter painkiller medications without doctors advice
- Taking bed rest in hope that this pain will go away
- Lifting baby or any other weight while in pain
- Most importantly – accepting back pain as a lifestyle and live with it! Believe us, backache can be cured!!!
See your doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms:
* If you are above 50 and sudden onset of severe pain or pain localized to spine.
* Pain due to recent fall or trauma.
* Pain in hip and leg.
* Back pain unrelated to posture.
* Bowel or bladder control problems.
* Numbness in the groin or rectal area.
* Extreme weakness in legs.
* Unsteadiness while walking
* Fever or weight loss accompanying the pain.
* Pain that does not lessen over time even after rest.
I assure you all mothers, following these tips will work like wonders and each child will boast in pride that my mom is happy indeed!
Lets promise each other not to neglect our mother’s health and do our bit in getting the real smile on her face.
Dr Prachi Suryavanshi, BAMS
Dr Kiran Shete, MS(Ortho), DNB